Q. I’ve inherited a few bits and pieces of make-up over the years but have never bought any for myself. Where do I start and what are the basics that I need to buy?
A. First of all, I think you need to take a ‘control-alt-delete’ approach to the make-up you have – reboot and start all over again! The make-up you’ve inherited was not bought with your particular face and skin tone in mind, and the make-up may even be old and past its best. Chuck, chuck, chuck!
Start afresh and create a collection of personalised make-up staples. Like a good wardrobe, your make-up bag needs to contain classic items that are suitable for everyday wear. At this stage it’s not about buying orange lipsticks or fluoro yellow eye shadows – what you need are the essentials to get you through your day-to-day life.
Grab a shopping basket and whiz down to your local Priceline, where you’ll be able to pick up every item on this essential make-up shopping list:
1. Moisturiser – Try Olay Complete UV Protection Moisture Lotion SPF 15 $14.69
2. Foundation – Try Maybelline NY Dream Matte Mousse Foundation $21.45
3. Concealer – Try Rimmel London Recover Concealer $10.50
4. Black pencil eyeliner – Try Styli-Style Flat Pencil $19.95
5. Black mascara – Try Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara $22.95
6. Neutral eye shadow palette – Try Covergirl 4 Kit Eyeshadow $13.50
7. Peach/pink blush – Try Bourjois Nouveaux Blush $20
8. Neutral lipstick – Try L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Made-For-Me Naturals $25.45
That’s all your make-up essentials for under $150!
When it comes to selecting the tones and colours of your make-up staples, remember to choose shades that match and blend with your skin. Take the time to try out lots of the testers in the shop and to find the shades that are right for you – particularly with the foundation, lipstick, blush and shadow palette.
Once you’ve got your make-up basics collection sorted, then you can start having fun with one-off sparkly lip-glosses and funky liquid liners!
- OK! Beauty Editor
Visit the Priceline website to find a store near you.